Satellite Healthcare CEO Mark Burke to Retire
San Jose, CA - February 24, 2014 — Satellite Healthcare, among the nation's leading not-for-profit providers of kidney dialysis and related services and a major sponsor of kidney research, today announced that Chief Executive Officer Mark Burke will retire effective May 31.
"For more than two decades as CEO at Satellite, Mark has dedicated himself to serving people with chronic kidney disease and those that care for them," said Satellite Chairman of the Board Bill Long. "On behalf of the Board, I thank Mark for his dedication and commitment. I also commend his strong leadership under which Satellite has remained at the forefront of the kidney care community with the delivery of excellent care and generous funding for research. We are extremely grateful for Mark's vision and guidance."
"It has been an honor and a privilege to lead Satellite over the last 23 years," said Mr. Burke, who will also be stepping down from the board of directors. "I am very proud that Satellite has improved patients' lives by pioneering patient-centered, personalized ESRD care. Satellite is an outstanding organization with the industry's best clinical staff and a capable, experienced management team. I am confident that Satellite will continue to innovate and provide superior patient care for many years to come."
Under Mr. Burke's leadership, Satellite has become a nationally respected leader in kidney care. Significant achievements include:
- Expanding access to dialysis treatment in Northern California and beyond, growing to over 60 dialysis centers serving more than 6,000 patients in six states
- Developing Satellite's WellBound division, the nation's first dedicated provider of self-care training for home dialysis patients
- Founding the Norman S. Coplon Extramural Grants Program, among the nation's largest endowments sponsoring research into kidney disease and treatment
- Founding Ascend Clinical, the nation's leading independent dialysis reference lab
- Introducing the only health plan in Northern California for Medicare beneficiaries living with end-stage renal disease
- Creating one of the most engaging workplaces in Silicon Valley, outranking many renowned technology companies
With Mr. Burke's announcement, the Satellite Board of Directors is commissioning a search for his successor. Following Mr. Burke's retirement, Mr. Long will serve as Executive Chairman of Satellite until Mr. Burke's successor is appointed.
Celebrating its 40th anniversary this year, Satellite is committed to its mission of making life better for patients living with kidney disease through its emphasis on innovation and providing the best patient care. Satellite has grown with its many physician, hospital and payer partners and looks forward to continuing to serve them as the company expands in the future.
About Satellite Healthcare:
Satellite Healthcare, Inc., has been among the nation's leading not-for-profit providers of kidney dialysis and related services since 1974. Through its affiliated services, Satellite WellBound, Satellite Dialysis, Satellite Health Plan and Satellite Research, Satellite Healthcare provides unparalleled early patient wellness education, personalized clinical services and a complete range of dialysis therapy choices. In addition, Satellite Healthcare has a well-recognized, enduring commitment to philanthropy and community service, from funding millions of dollars in research grants to sponsoring kidney walks nationwide. Satellite is committed to advancing the standard of chronic kidney disease care so patients can enjoy a better life.
Media Contact: Kim Hernandez, 650-404-3623