Recipe: Torrejas (Spanish-style French Toast)
Feb 3, 2011
- 3 sweet rolls or 6 French rolls
- 3 egg yolks, separated
- pinch of salt
- oil for frying
- ¼ cup sesame seeds, toasted
- 4 cups water
- 2 piloncillo (Mexican sugar cones)
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 5 whole cloves
- Slice rolls about ½ inch thick. Beat egg whites and salt until stiff. Beat in egg yolks. Dip each slice of bread in egg mixture and deep fry in oil.
- To prepare syrup, boil water, sugar cones, cinnamon stick and cloves until sugar cones dissolve.
- Serve torrejas covered with syrup and garnished with sesame seeds.
*This recipe not suitable for diabetics.
Nutrient analysis per serving:
Fat 15 g
Phosphorus 103 mg
Potassium 143 mg
Protein 6 g
Sodium 163 mg