Recipients Announced for the 2013 Norman S. Coplon Extramural Grants
Grant Applications Are Now Being Accepted for 2014
San Jose, CA - Aug 06, 2013 — Satellite Healthcare, a leading private provider of grants targeting researchers conducting innovative and important kidney disease research in the United States, is pleased to announce the recipients for the 2013 Norman S. Coplon Extramural Grants Program. Satellite also announced applications are now being accepted for the 2014 program. Named after the Stanford nephrologist who founded Satellite Healthcare, the Norman S. Coplon Extramural Grants Program supports United States-based researchers addressing critical issues that affect kidney diseases and their treatment. Approximately one-third of the grants are given for basic scientific renal research, while the remaining grants are given for applied scientific renal research that can also be used in clinical practice today. The recipients for the 2013 grant program include:
- Judith Blaine, University of Colorado Denver, "The role of the neonatal Fc receptor (FcRn) in podocytes"
- Denise Marciano, University of Texas Southwestern Medical Center, Dallas, TX, "Lumen formation in the developing nephron"
- Julie Paik, Brigham & Women's Hospital, Boston, Mass., "Novel Imaging of Bone Mineralization and Matrix to Assess Fracture Risk in Chronic Kidney Disease"
- Jeanie Park, Emory University, Atlanta, GA, "Sympathetic regulation during intradialytic hypertension"
- Eugene Rhee, Massachusetts General Hospital, Boston, Mass., "Profiling Vascular Gradients to Characterize Renal Metabolite Handling"
Founded in 2000, the Norman S. Coplon Extramural Grants program has become one of the nation's largest private research endowments for research into kidney disease and its treatment. A highlight of the program is an annual symposium that allows grant recipients to share their findings, receive constructive feedback and participate in a free exchange of ideas with peers and members of Satellite's Scientific Advisory Board. The symposium will be held April 11-13, 2014 in San Francisco, CA.
Proposals for the next grant cycle are now being accepted and should be submitted online by 5:00 PM PST, February 24, 2014. In addition to the online submission, a collated copy of the proposal (including, if necessary, color illustrations and any literature/publications) must be submitted by mail no later than February 28, 2014. Recipients will be announced in June 2014.
About Satellite Healthcare
Satellite Healthcare, Inc., founded in 1974, is one of the nation's first not for profit providers of dialysis services and kidney disease care. With its expanded offerings Satellite Healthcare provides early patient wellness education, personalized clinical services and a complete range of dialysis therapy choices. This comprehensive offering allows Satellite Healthcare to advance the standard of chronic kidney disease care so patients can achieve a better life.
Better care. Better life. Better choice.®
Media Contact: Kim Hernandez, 650-404-3623