Recipe: Strawberry Fool
Summer is here! The sun is out and it’s hot. You feel the sweat beginning to form on your brow and you start thinking of all the cool treats you know you shouldn’t have: ice cream, an ice cold cola, a milk shake.
But never fear! We’ve got a kidney-friendly dessert that will totally nip those cravings in the bud. Introducing the Strawberry Fool.
Servings: 6, 3/4 cup (Diabetic count as: 1 milk serving, 1 fruit serving, 1 fat serving)
Calories: 197; Cholesterol: 22 mg; Carbohydrates: 21 g;
Potassium: 278 mg; Calcium: 80 mg; Total Fat: 10 g; Sat
Fat: 7 g; Sodium: 326 mg; Protein: 6 g; Phosphorous: 103 mg
- 4 cups strawberries sliced (about 1 ¼ pounds)
- ¼ cup sugar substitute
- 1 table spoon orange liqueur (Optional and can be
- replaced with 1 tsp orange extract)
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 package (8 ounces) reduced-fat cream cheese,
- 2 cups reduced-fat, frozen whipped topping
- 6 strawberries for garnish
- Mint sprigs
- Combine sliced strawberries, sugar substitute,
- liqueur and vanilla.
- Crush berries with a potato masher or whisk.
- Set aside for 10 to 15 minutes to allow juices to
- Beat cream cheese with an electric mixer until
- light and fluffy. Gently fold whipped topping into
- cream cheese, 1 cup at a time until light. Add
- strawberry mixture and fold in gently.
- Spoon mixture evenly into 6 dessert glasses.
- Garnish with a fresh strawberry and mint sprigs. Enjoy!