Tips for a Kidney-Friendly Halloween
With Halloween around the corner, go ahead and enjoy an occasional treat but remember not all candy is created equal!
Here are some candies with a lower amount of potassium, sodium, and phosphorus to keep on hand for Trick or Treaters that are a better choice for a kidney-friendly treat.
Say “yes please” to:
- Hard candies — like Sweetarts®, Jolly Ranchers® and Runts®
- Jelly beans
- Laffy Taffy®
- Sour Patch® Kids®
- Air Heads®
Say “no thanks!” to:
- Chocolate candy bars
- Candy bars that contain nuts
- Candy that contains coconut or dried fruits
- Candy that contains caramel
- Talk to your renal dietitian for other good choices.
And remember, share leftover candy with friends and families. Getting extra candy out of the house helps avoid temptation to overindulge.