Top Ways to Enjoy Gardening With Chronic Kidney Disease (CKD)
Chronic kidney disease (CKD) shouldn’t stop you from getting outside and enjoying nature. Gardening is a great way to enjoy nature and improve health. Here are some tips:
- Be careful not to overdo it. Limit yourself to one small task a day.
- Get help for larger tasks.
- Stop if you feel dizzy or weak.
- New to gardening? Have a chat with your neighbor with the beautiful garden. He/she is likely to be happy to share their experience.
- Start with a few patio pots with bright annuals. You’ll enjoy them for the warmer months and then don’t have to worry about gardening in the winter months.
- Consider planting herbs that you can add to your favorite recipe. Fresh herbs are a great way to replace added salt with a burst of flavor.
- Love birds and butterflies? Ask a gardener what plants attract these friendly creatures.
- Don’t have space for a garden at home? Many areas have community gardens where you can have your own plot of earth to grow what you like.
Time in the garden is good for your body and mind. It’s ok to start small, just get started. Before you know it, you may just find a front yard full of color and life that will lift your spirits.