Health-Boosting Summer Fruits and Veggies
Summer is here, which means that we can enjoy an abundance of delicious seasonal fruits and veggies that are popular during this warm season. Keeping these natural snacks on hand is not only good for your kidneys but helps to support your overall health too!
- Apples are high in pectin, which is known to lower cholesterol and glucose levels. Not to mention, the peel is loaded with antioxidants that can protect brain cells. It’s a good source of vitamin C too!
- Blueberries are high in antioxidants and a good source of fiber and vitamin C. They also have cancer-fighting properties and can play a role in keeping good heart health.
- Strawberries are packed with a powerful punch of antioxidants, vitamins, and fiber. They also have anti-inflammatory properties to boot!
While most vegetables are safe to eat for people with CKD, if you are on dialysis or have potassium restrictions to your diet, check with your doctor before you eat any of the following vegetables:
- Kale is typically a winter vegetable, but you can enjoy it during the warmer months too. It’s loaded with vitamins A and C, and it’s also a good source of carotenoids and flavonoids that can be beneficial to eye health and cancer prevention.
- Spinach is loaded with vitamins A, C, K, and folate. It also contains beta carotene, which can help improve your immune system.
- Sweet potatoes are high in beta carotene as well as a good source of vitamins A, C, and B-6 and potassium.
Before making adjustments to your diet, consult with your doctor to ensure that you are getting the right nutrition for your dietary needs.
For more information about diet and living with CKD, Contact your local Satellite Healthcare Center. You can also visit our blog for more health and wellness information, including delicious kidney-friendly recipes.